Mama Mio is the brainchild of 3 friends, joined by a fourth who have built a lovely skincare company together. Specialising in getting you through pregnancy we thought we’d ask Tanya, one of the founders, what she has learnt whilst growing her business and of course her time as a mum.
Through the years I have frequently been asked for tips on pregnancy and these are my 10 favourites. Each has been tried and tested, by myself and the few people who actually listen to my advice (most of my friends start to hum a jaunty tune and wait for me to stop!). Those of us who have tried them have liked them, especially number 3.
Most of all please feel amazingly proud of yourself, because the miracle of pregnancy really deserves a celebration!
1. Rest. Remember that being tired when you are pregnant is not like being tired before you were pregnant. Before you could always find the extra reserve to push yourself, but when you are out of energy when you are pregnant. That is it – you have no reserve. Give in to that and put yourself in a chair with your feet up and enjoy!
2. Rub. Take good care of your skin – of course I recommend Mama Mio Tummy Rub (as do thousands of Mama Mio addicts!) – make the whole ritual of rubbing in your stretch mark protection a pleasure. In the beginning you are rubbing to protect your skin, but as your bump grows your baby will fill your hands and it is a beautiful time to dream, and bond and think of names and experience the wonder of creation.
3. Rant. You have a free pass to have at least 4 tantrums in a pregnancy. So be sure to use them and have a blast behaving like a 2 year old (soon enough you will be on the receiving end of 2 year tantrums!). But no more than 4 if you can help it – or you will get a bad reputation!
4. Accept. When someone offers to carry something, do ‘it’ for you, give you a seat, give you a lift….. just accept graciously, it is such an an unusual experience and should definitely be enjoyed to the fullest.
5. Flaunt. Your boobs will never ever look this good again – wear low cut tops (way lower than your norm but for goodness sake don’t ever cross the jordan line, such a bad look!)and love your luscious look. And because those great boobs are not yours forever, my favourite Mama Mio product is Boob Tube. All that growth can lead to sagging and Boob tube will help keep things heading North once baby is done using you as a milk bar. It is a wonderful product if you are pregnant, breast feeding (avoid your nipples), or just determined to look your bust best as you trundle through the years.
6. Speak. This is the time in your life to talk to strangers….Aren’t people so lovely to you when you are pregnant? Taking the risk to tell you you look amazing, or asking how pregnant you are or generally just engaging with you in a way we are so unused to in our busy busy don’t talk to anyone society. It is quite surprising and absolutely wonderful.
7. Dance. Your baby might as well learn about rhythm now – and you will love it and it is so good for your body, strength and flexibility. Don’t treat yourself like you sick – you are actually at the peak of health. So live life to the fullest and Dance!
8. Glow. Are spots getting you down? We have an awesome option to help clear up pregnancy hormonal skin, our Mighty Moisture for faces is brilliant at calming hormonal skin, and providing you the pregnancy glow you yearn for. It is a lovely feeling to be confident in your gorgeous glowing skin.
9. Shut Up. If someone tries to tell you a story about their awful birthing experience – just look them in the eyes and tell them to shut up. What is it about women that they want to scare you with their horror stories – what a horrible thing to do to someone who is pregnant. It is such bad behaviour and you owe it to yourself, to the next woman who would have to hear their stupid story and to all the pregnant women in the world to say. No, shut up, I don’t want to hear you frighten me – it is just plain wrong!
10. Spa. Pregnancy is a magical magical time – but quite physically and psychologically stressful – the perfect time to check out of reality and check into the spa! Our Mama’s Touch programme is in about 300 gorgeous spa’s around the world and there is bound to be one near you for a totally safe and totally specific perfect pregnancy pampering treatment. Remember Happy Mama = Happy Baby… I can hear it now: ‘Really Honey it isn’t for me it is actually a totally unselfish act of motherly love for our baby’.