And now, the final instalment of our short series looking at our onsite test lab – did we mention it’s the only independently accredited test centre in the UK?
We hope you’ve found these posts helpful, as we are fully aware how important safety is to parents. We want you to feel reassured that, whichever Mamas & Papas product you buy, you get quality.
It was certainly an eventful time spent at the test lab. We’re not sure our safety team get to see many people, as they were very excited when we turned up. They seemed very keen to show us how they put every product through their sadistic series of tests. Michael definitely had a glint in his eye on a couple of occasions.
With two seasons worth of products, plus individual launches for major items (such as our new Armadillo family member coming in September!) it means we design and create a lot of things. That’s a lot of testing. Fortunately, Michael and the team relish the idea of taking our beautifully crafted products, and wreaking havoc upon them.
As our Technical manager, Michael oversees every test and experiment – from carry cots and pushchairs to Pixie and Finch! Michael explained that so far this year they have tested over 200 products. We’re writing this in June! We’re not even half way through the year and they’ve already tested more products than we’ve have a chance to play with. (We’re not really allowed to play with them, but if we sneak into our Showroom when nobody’s looking we can get away with it until someone turns up.)
Every machine in our test lab is calibrated to suit the standards of different regions; including the UK, Europe, USA, Australia and Canada. Michael showed us their model prototypes, which are standard models of highchairs, pushchairs, carry cots and everything in between. They’re not the prettiest items but every month they retest these basic models to be sure that the results stay the same. Every new product that comes in has to fall in line with these results, so we can be sure that everything is of the same standard.
Some of the tests we do include:
- Checking the strength of carry cot handles by strapping them to a clamp and applying a weight of 9kg – they do this 15,000 times in succession, phew
- Insuring that baby carriers are able to handle the equivalent of a parent carrying a 9 month old for 50,000 steps – imagine the blisters!
- Overloading highchairs with a weight of 40kg (a ginormous baby) to see if they can withstand the force
- Testing all the seams and small parts on our clothing, bedding and toys to the equivalent of a 9-11 month old (when in reality it’s two grown men playing tug of war with Millie and Boris)
- Applying a 50kg weight to all our toys to make sure they can endure it – it breaks our heart to see this but it’s worthwhile
- Testing our beds to make sure they can take the weight of two adults sitting on the side, reading a bedtime story – although if they start to get too into character when reading Elmer the Elephant, we can’t be held responsible
As you can see, we have tests for pretty much every eventuality. It may seem a bit excessive but when it comes to the safety of your little ones, there’s no such thing as excessive.
We pride ourselves on crafting products you can trust, which is why we have our test lab. The accreditation is not just there to look fancy (unlike Michael’s moustache) it’s there to insure that we are doing things properly, every step of the way.
There is nothing more important that the safety of your child, and thanks to Michael and the whole of the test lab team, we’ve got it covered.
For the full range of products please feel free to browse our website.