Kids Recipes: Stuffed field mushrooms with pancetta and three cheeses
So, you’ve figured out some healthy meals for your little ones – they’re tasty and easy to make, so easy in fact that you constantly return to them week after week, by which point you’re sick of that tasty healthy snack and crying out for something else.
Well look no further as Lesley Holdship is back – the mother, food writer and demonstration chef at London’s Borough Market has whipped up another healthy and tasty treat your little ones will guzzle up. And what’s more it’s another recipe to add to the list, so there’s no need to fall back on the old reliable.
4 large field mushrooms
A generous knob of butter
1 onion, peeled and chopped
1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
75g pancetta or smoked bacon, cubed
2 tbsp chopped parsley
Zest of ½ lemon
½ tsp ground nutmeg
25g fresh breadcrumbs plus a few extra for sprinkling
200g good melting cheese, sliced—for example, Ogleshield or Tallegio
1. Preheat the oven to 180C.
2. Push the stalks from the mushrooms, chop them then set aside. Place the mushrooms on a baking sheet.
3. Heat the butter in a generous sized frying pan. Add the onion and cook over a medium heat for about 5 minutes until it is soft and translucent.
4. Next add the garlic and pancetta and cook for another 5 minutes until the pancetta is just starting to turn golden, adding the reserved chopped mushroom stalks at the last minute.
5. Scatter in the parsley, lemon zest and nutmeg and season generously. Stir through the ricotta, pecorino and the breadcrumbs. Check the seasoning again.
6. Season the mushrooms generously then fill the cavity with the cheese and pancetta mixture. Top with the remaining sliced cheese and scatter with a few extra breadcrumbs.
7. Bake for 25 minutes until golden and bubbling.
8. Serve as a main dish with a side salad or as an accompaniment to some crispy sausages.
Check out the Borough Market website or follow them on Twitter. Also, don’t forget our range of bibs, you’ll need them!
How’s that for a slice of joy? Get your big white puffy hats on and get crumbling that cheese!