A LETTER TO MY PRE BABY SELF BY LONDON DAD
I write this sat in front of my computer screen staring off through the window at a horrendously wet Tuesday in May. I have ben sat staring for what feels like 10 seconds, turns out that it has been somewhere between 5 and 10 minutes. 5-10 minutes of staring into space not thinking of what to write but half asleep day dreaming of a time when I didn’t feel so damn tired.
Hi, I’m Gregory Stanton aka London Dad, my idea was to write a letter to my pre baby self and to say all of the things that I wish I had know before Etta came along and being the pragmatic one in our family I thought that this letter would take the form of a list.
- This one may seem really obvious from what I have written above and probably something that would feature in every letter. Get more sleep, enjoy your sleep and never moan at Alice for lazing around in bed like a cat on the weekends.
- Appreciate having dinner with Alice, whether that’s out or at home, meal times will never be the same again. They get more fun in a different way but you will miss sitting and talking with wine on the table and not having to worry about clearing the plates away in fear of the wall being decorated a different colour.
- Enjoy those moments when you decide to leave the house on a whim. “Shall we go to the pub?” “Sure lets go” trust me you will learn why.
- Remember the time you spilt a bit of coffee down yourself on the way to a meeting and you got so frustrated? Well you can’t leave the house without inflicting some kind of amendment to your outfit, banana smear or bogey (you wont be able to tell the difference) or coffee knocked out of your hand by a charging mini one. Oh and I guess ironing is kind of the same – do it as you wont have any time when E comes along.
- Nights out; have them. Seriously never turn down an offer to go out.
- Hangovers go hand in hand with no.5. Enjoy your hangovers, have a nice brunch, chill in bed and watch movies in their entirety.
- Stop your whining. This is not specific and covers all whining. You will have plenty to whine about later and plenty of time to do it.
- Enjoy your money; spend it on frivolous things such as more trainers and even more trainers. As soon as you become a parent you put them first in all things. Sure that coat looks great on but you could spend the day at the zoo with E and buy her some new trainers and a cool pair of Levi’s with that money. It’s a no brainer, she wins every time.
- Time doesn’t exist in the same way – it is always either so much faster or so much slower than you want it to be. Enjoy time being quantifiable.
- And lastly, you will never know another love like this. Enjoy it, have fun with it, it’s not all negative. All of the points above pale into insignificance when that screaming monkey face turns into a smile because you her daddy has rescued her or kissed her sore finger better. Sure it’s a rollercoaster of emotions but you get through it – look no hands.
Keep up to date with my post baby ramblings and antics on Instagram here.